Superb facilities: does your school have this?
• Golden sandy beach used for games and activities: 2 minutes’ walk through school access
• Situated above the new surf reef and 5 minutes form Hengistbury Head and the superb safe waters of Mudeford/Christchurch harbour; we enjoy numerous water sports including sailing, kayaking, windsurfing, surfing and we use the beach for runs, fitness sessions, Brazilian football, Beach volleyball and so much more
• New tennis courts, all-weather astro pitch, 25m indoor pool, very large 4 badminton sized sports hall with full drop down basketball hoops (Olympic sized court), flat and excellent sports field
• 4 science laboratories; large modern music rooms with 7 practice rooms, large home economics room; 2 large computer suites (computers in every classroom too), designated art facility with ceramics studio and kiln, DT lab catering for wood, plastics and metalwork, modern classrooms all fitted with new interactive whiteboards, quaint library etc.
• Entire boarding house completely refurbished as new in September 2010, with excellent sleeping accommodation (many single rooms),new showers, toilets and washrooms, comfortable common rooms, large TV and entertainment room and a popular games room; safe and attractive gardens
• 2 new science laboratories; large modern art room and a well-equipped impressive technology room (wood, plastics and metal work), modern library, all classrooms fitted with new interactive whiteboards, 2 extensive computer suites, computers in all classrooms
• Indoor swimming pool, large sports hall, large assembly hall, 3 large, new tennis and netball courts, superb sports fields, extensive safe playgrounds
• 5 minutes from Poole Bay ensures we have many water sports activities for all Prep pupils, including sailing
Preparatory School Facilities
- The Preparatory School is housed in modern purpose-built accommodation on its own site in Poole. It is well equipped to meet the needs of its rich curriculum, and provides an exciting but secure and welcoming setting for learning. Some of the highlights are:
- ICT Suites – Our two suites offer both specialist and cross-curricular teaching, enabling each pupil to access their own file at least four times each week. Pupils are taught discreet skills in the teaching ICT suite and then transfer to the cross-curricular suite to use and apply newly taught skills ensuring progression and continuity within ICT.
- The Art & Design Technology Studio is a vibrant and exciting area where pupils can explore different media. Planning can be created through pencil and paper drawings or on the CAD programs installed on our 10 computers situated around the room. Pupils can then create, make and build their products which can be displayed to best effect in the display areas within this room.
- The Science Laboratory offers pupils the opportunity to explore and investigate all experiments. Fair testing and trial-and-error methods are greatly encouraged in order for pupils to achieve the sense and wonder of science in our world. We explore science outdoors as well as indoors.
- The Indoor Swimming Pool allows every child the ability to be able to swim without aids by the time they reach Reception age (5 years). Weekly lessons are enjoyed by all pupils throughout their time at BCPS.
- The All-Weather Sports Pitch enables our sporting programme to continue whatever the forecast. It offers a wide range of sporting activities from football to tennis, basketball to hockey.
- The Sports Field is a valuable resource and widely accessible to all age groups. Because of its excellent condition, we are able to enjoy not only rugby in the Autumn term but athletics in the Summer. Sports Days are one of the highlights of our year – where it is safe even for the mums and dads race!
- The School Library - Each age group, from Kindergarten to Year 6, has a weekly library lesson. During this visit children can choose books to take home to share and enjoy with a reading partner. Library monitors are appointed in Year 6.
Senior School Site
The 8-acre Senior School site is close to the cliff-top in Bournemouth and uses teaching and boarding facilities built around the old Wentworth Lodge which were once part of the Portman Estate. The house, built in 1872, was used by Viscount Portman as a summer residence for around six weeks every year. The school has formal gardens, very attractive surrounding woodlands and extensive sports and play areas.
Senior School Facilities
Wentworth Lodge, built in 1872 as the family home of Lord Portman, remains at the heart of the Senior School site and provides an elegant setting for the staff and administrative areas as well as some converted teaching space. Teaching mainly takes place in custom-built areas designed much more recently to provide an open and modern learning environment together with the school’s dining hall, which looks out across the gardens.
The school has recently enjoyed a £2 million pound investment in new facilities and in upgrades to the current teaching areas. Facilities include:
New in 2011:
Other excellent facilities include:
- Additional boarding accommodation with ensuite rooms
- New ICT suites
- New recording studio in music department
- New media and film centre
- New wireless technology across the site
- New international learning centre
- New centre for Learning Plus
- Redeveloped Learning Resource Centre (library) with new computer suite
- Redeveloped art rooms
- New teaching classrooms
- New roof and floor in the large four badminton court sized indoor sports hall
- World class upgrades to the 25m swimming pool
- Four science laboratories with two preparation rooms
- Designated music block with practice rooms, music technology suite and recording studio
- Tennis courts, playing fields, astro pitch, 25m indoor swimming pool
- Large sports field including 400m athletics track, football and lacrosse pitches and national status cricket pitch at the schools facility at Dean Park
- Designated art department with kiln
- New large, modern purpose built ICT suites
- All teaching rooms are fitted with the latest interactive whiteboards
- Sixth form centre with internet café/coffee bar, large common room, individualised study areas with computers, wireless throughout
- Modern airy classrooms
- A modern home economics room
- Large central dining room for staff and pupils
- Modern design and technology facility catering for wood, metal and plastics
- Dedicated medical facility manned by qualified nurses
- Specialist facility with modern computer facilities to support international students and students who need additional support
- Exceptional boarding accommodation and facilities, with new and modern kitchens and common rooms for boarders, and a range of games rooms